Porsche 356B 1600S Coupe (1962)
One of the all-time great sports cars, the 356 was the work of Ferry Porsche and based on the Volkswagen designed by his father. Like the immortal 'Beetle', the 356 employed a platform-type chassis with rear-mounted air-cooled engine and all-independent torsion bar suspension. In 1951 a works car finished first in the 1,100cc class at the Le Mans 24-Hour Race, thus beginning the marque's long and illustrious association with Le Sarthe.
The first phase of development saw the 356's engine grow to 1.3 and then to 1.5 litres; the original split windscreen replaced by a one-piece; and a Porsche synchromesh gearbox adopted. 1955 marked the arrival of the restyled 356A, the newcomer being readily distinguished by its curved windscreen and 15" - down from 16" - wheels. Numerous further styling revisions differentiated the 356B of 1959 from its immediate predecessor while the engine - now standardised at 1,600cc - was available in three different stages of tune, the most powerful - apart from the four-cam Carrera - being the 90bhp 1600S unit.
The 356B represents significant advances in driveability and comfort over earlier 356 models, and is a pleasingly quick way to enjoy the traditional Porsche values of quality, reliability and mechanical robustness.
|Engine:||Air Cooled 1600cc flat 4|