Daimler Conquest Century Drophead Coupe (1956)
The Conquest saloon was released to the public in 1953 as a replacement for the Daimler Consort but was shorter and lighter with better performance. It was meant to be an affordable Daimler with pace and at a reasonable price and still had luxurious, well-appointed traditional wood grain and leather interiors. Actual construction was by another BSA subsidiary, 'Carbodies'. The open two seater Conquest Roadster first appeared at the Motor Show in 1953 with the tuned engine later known as the Century engine. The Daimler Conquest Century, released in 1954, was the best seller of the range with 4,818 produced and boasted 100hp and, presumably downhill, 100mph; hence the name. However, the roadster was dropped from production in 1955 as the dropheads had outsold them by over three to one. At the 1955 Motor Show a new drophead four-seater and a drophead coupe version of the two seater roadster were introduced. This Mk. II Conquest Roadster drophead coupe had a sideways-facing single rear seat making the car a two or three seater and with wind-up side windows in place of the clip-on side-curtains.