Citroen Traction Light 15 (1953)
The Citroen Traction Avant was manufactured from 1934 to 1957, with approximately 760,000 units produced. The Traction Avant, French for front-wheel driven, was designed by Andre Lefebvre and Flaminio Bertoni in late 1933. While not the first produced front-wheel drive car, it was the worlds first front-wheel drive steel monocoque production
car and successfully pioneered front-wheel drive on the European mass car market. This method of construction was viewed with great suspicion in many quarters, with doubts about its strength. An unusual type of crash test was conceived taking the form of driving the car off a cliff to demonstrate its strength. Lefthand drive versions were built in
Paris, Belgium and also Denmark; righthand drive cars in Slough, England. The Slough version was called the Light Fifteen and the long wheelbase the Big Fifteen. This confusing terminology referred to the
British fiscal tax rating of the time which was higher than the French. Models assembled in Slough had to be 51% UK parts to make them exempt from import duty, to protect the British vehicle manufacturers
from foreign competition. The Slough built cars used 12 Volt Lucas electrics, headlights, dynamo and starter motor with Jaeger instruments and a walnut dashboard.